
While shopping at Michael's the other day, Amy decided to spend her own money to buy some Fall silk flowers. Here is the arrangement that she did (with just a little help from mom).
It reminded me of the story "The Gardener" by Sarah Stewart. After finishing her special garden she writes to her mother and grandmother to say, "I've tried to remember everything you ever taught me about beauty." I hope Amy will have fond memories of the time we've spent creating beautiful things together.

1 comment:
Bethany
October 13th, 2006 at 3:38 pm · Edit
So adorable. She did a good job.
I loved looking at your house pics. Looks like and incredible place. Loved your closet!!! I was wondering where people stored their homeschool supplies especially here in CA where space in houses is hard to find. I am only in K with Seth and the homeschool stuff is taking over my house. I gotta come up with something. You are so blessed to have a room too. Do you have those pics on your site. (by the way I had to look at your old blogger site to see the pics of your house they are not showing on wordpress)
-Bethany
Christina
October 14th, 2006 at 4:58 am · Edit
Bethany- The pictures of the room with the map and the green couch are my “homeschool” room. I do feel very blessed to have it. Homeschool stuff was taking over my house in K too! The pictures didn’t all switch over when I moved to Wordpress so I have to upload them all over again. That is why you had to go to the old blogger site to see them. Sorry!
I sent out your dragon costume today. Hopefully you will get it by next week.
Zoanna
October 20th, 2006 at 12:29 pm · Edit
Christina, Amy did a great job with the arrangement. I like the strong focal point of gold, surrounded by more subtle ones. Good mix of color and texture, heights, and so on. I appreciated your comment on Laurie’s blog. I noticed, too, that the commenters aren’t homeschooling. What a difference it makes , huh? I mean, esp in the early years the school books, projects, supplies, etc, end up mixing with the ordinary house stuff of laundry, dishes, mail, dog dishes, shoes…..My hubby doesn’t want me to “clean for him”but for Christ. I understand. But I don’t hear Christ’s voice (or silent disapproval) nearly as often as I hear my husband’s when the house is in disarray. It’s not dirty, it’s just cluttered. And Paul has this notion that other people’s houses are so much better organized and kept up. I remind him that when he and I go somewhere for a visit, those people have been expecting us and of course cleaned up for us. I tell him to drop in on any homeschooling family around noon and see if it doesn’t look vaguely like ours. Somehow my teens have caught their daddy’s genes and are all about neatness and organization. That helps as far as their pitching in and the general standard, but I also hear their complaints added to his. And did I say we have a four year old? We are trying to train him to put away the Legos after he builds a robot. Put away the markers after drawing a hundred pictures of superheroes. Don’t leave your dirty clothes in front of your dresser. Put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher, not on the counter right above it. Pick it up, put it away. Seems like all I say in a day, either out loud or in my head. It causes routine weariness in well doing! But I have also heard Christ address the main problem here: we have too much stuff. It’s so much easier to clean when surfaces have just one lamp and one vase, or when the laundry has been scaled back to what we really like to wear and not filled with “make do because the favorites are in the wash” kind of clothes. So I have been on a real decluttering kick. I love flylady.com for motivation. Just this week I gave to Goodwill 4 huge trash bags of clothes and a box of drinkware that were stuffing the cabinets.
This comment is too long, but I hope you are encouraged by the fact that you are not alone in this journey. I used to belong to a Messies Anonymous club, for real! It helped to learn certain habits, but I think I am just “bent” toward
a lower standard of upkeep. I don’t “see” disorder to the extent others do. I was on bedrest, too, though for only five weeks. The clutter on the fridge was the worst (my hospital bed was between the kitchen and family room, this was right after my freak deilivery w/ JOel four years ago. I couldn’t walk excetp to the bathroom. I had my mom folding laundry in her own way –perfectionistically) and people from church coming with meals and some to do odd jobs. I was never so eager to do my own housework as when I was totally unable. I remember that when I get to complaining about “I have to do such and such”. Maybe if clutter is your main weakness, you and I can have a contest to see who can get rid of the most in a given amount of time (between history and lunch, of course!)
Post a Comment