Life has been very busy, stressful, and hard for us lately. Last month Sean was gone for three weeks and the fourth he had to work overtime. I think we saw him for three days. That's why my mom came for a week! I am so thankful for my parents who love Jesus and love us.
Right now, my older kids are in the kitchen and I am not allowed to come in. I think they cleaned up. I know they are baking something. Sean said he heard the dishwasher and went to go check. There were a total of 5 dishes in it! Too funny!
I was going to write that they are such great kids, but then I realized that the truth is they are little sinners. (And don't I know it!) And God is so great. Just this morning, we were talking about serving. Last night our family had the opportunity to serve at church and watch 16 kids. We had 7 older kids from the church (including ours) who helped out. Sometimes the kids were very thoughtful and helpful while at other times they were pretty self-focused and really just wanted to go out and play. Our own kids flip-flopped between the two. But overall, the night went well.
This morning I talked to our kids about having a servant's heart. They knew that last night was a lot of kids, and they could see how helpful it was when the older ones helped out. They understood it was tougher when the older ones were just looking out for themselves. We had a great talk and then ran off to our day's activities.
So it is such a joy to see God work in their hearts to help them to decide to do something to bless and serve our family! And I am relieved since the kitchen was a mess and I still have baking to do for a baby shower tomorrow.
... They let me in, and they are making lemon bars! Maybe I won't even have to bake tonight! (But I LOVE to bake, so I probably will.) =)
*Sean's note* Yes, they managed to get five dishes in the dishwasher before they started it. Very funny to find another fifty on the counter that didn't make it in! And another yes, they were supposed to be lemon bars. But there were no lemons or lemon juice! So they substituted oranges, tangerines, and any other citrus fruit they could find in the kitchen. It should be pretty interesting when its comes out. *
Guess I'm baking after all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Precious children :) Teaching service is such a beautiful thing with siblings. Not easy but so necessary.
Thank you guys so much for watching our children at the appreciation dinner. I wouldn't have been able to go if you weren't watching my children. It was also comforting to know they were in good hands. I really appreciate it.
Love,
Charlotte
i love the lemon bar story! how did they turn out?
we missed the dinner because i wasn't feeling like eating at all, and actually spent most of the evening with my head in a bucket! but i heard it was nice! thanks for volunteering to watch all the kiddos, even though we didn't make it!
and i hope sean's schedule calms down. i had no idea! keep me posted....
The orange bars turned out ok. They tasted good, but someone forgot to turn on the oven until half way through! So they were undercooked. I didn't take them to the shower. Eileen made some good lemon bars. I made scones!
And Charlotte, you are welcome! I love hanging out with your girls.
Sorry it was a rough month but glad you're back!
My children struggle at having a servant's heart. I hope they develop one as they mature and I pray it for them. I know some kids who shine in this area and struggle in others. I try to be patient with them that God is not finished with them (or me) yet. I'm blessed that you seized the opportunity to share with them while it was fresh on their minds. That is a great way to learn as you go.
Post a Comment