Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Books I Read in 2008

I've kept a running list on the sidebar of my blog of the books I've been reading this year. I wanted to keep the list, but not on my sidebar. So I've moved them to this post, with a little comment about what I liked and a short highlight about each one.

Future Grace by John Piper - I just finished reading this one a few days ago even thought I started it with Leslie in October. I'm glad I kept on reading it. Piper always gives me something to really think about. This time it was how to fight sin with greater enjoyment of God. Practical application was interwoven throughout the book and was particularly helpful.

Self-Image: How to Overcome Inferiority Judgments (Resources for Biblical Living) by Lou Priolo - This was actually just a little booklet. A very short, but practical read. Mr. Priolo is biblical counselor (meaning that his counsel comes from the word of God not secular psychology methods). The most helpful thing I gleaned from this booklet is how to see if the area in my life that I'm judging myself to be inadequate in is an inaccurate perception, an accurate perception, but not sinful, or an accurate perception that is sinful and requires a change in behavior.

The Story of Rolf and The Viking Bow by Allen French - I read this to my older kids as part of our history curriculum. We all loved it! It is an intriguing story that not only fit in well with our time period in history, but was a beautiful lesson on love and forgiveness as well.

Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah, Stephen, and Grace Mally -
This was another book that I read to the kids. Not only was it a helpful book for relationships, it was funny! The kids would beg me to read another chapter, they enjoyed it so much. We learned how to get to the root of the problem, how to see things from someone elses perspective and what it takes to build a friendship. With three writers, there were different perspectives to each chapter. And at the end of each was a quiz to help bring the concepts home. I would highly recommend it! I had to throw in this picture of Evan and Amy. It fits so well with the book.




Trusting God Even When Life Hurts by Jerry Bridges - This was the first book I had read by Jerry Bridges. I wish I'd read it a long time ago. It was so uplifting and encouraging. Mr. Bridges writes in a way that is easy to read even though he is dealing with tough concepts. I'm sure I'll come back and read it again. It was that good.


When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
by Dave Harvey - This was by far the best marriage book I've ever read. And I've read quite a few. Bringing every point back to the gospel and in such a compelling way, encouraged me and changed my perspective. What made this book different from so many books on marriage, was that the examples were not about the couple that starts out unhappy because of ... then puts ... into practice and is full of joy. Instead, the stories are about God being faithful, and what the faithfulness of people who love God looks like, lived out in marriages that aren't perfect. It was fresh, real, and made me literally rejoice in God's goodness to me every time I read a chapter.

A Tale of Two Sons: The Inside Story of a Father, His Sons, and a Shocking Murder by John MacArthur - Sean gave me this book for my birthday. I really enjoyed reading it. MacArthur gives historical and cultural information about this well known parable and then unpacks it verse by verse.

A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer by John Piper - I read this book because I wanted to learn more about fasting. I not only learned more about the discipline, but was inspired to put it into practice more. It answered a lot of the questions that I had about fasting.


How Clean Is Your House? : Hundreds of Handy Tips to Make Your Home Sparkle by Aggie MacKenzie and Kim Woodburn - I got this book at the dollar store! I usually try to read at least one book on home management a year to help develop my domestic skills. This one was fun and had some good tips. The best one for me was to use thick black chemical resistant gloves for cleaning. I have a lot more "get up and go" when I use them.


Pleasing People: How Not to Be an Approval Junkie by Lou Priolo - I tend to find authors that I like and then read as much as I can that has been written by them. This year it was Piper and Priolo. This book was so applicable for me. Priolo really challenges your thinking about whether you are pleasing God or man and then offers counsel and hope. For a more detailed review see Tim Challies.

Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God by Noel Piper - I read this on the recommendation of my friend Rachael. We share a love of books and she reads a lot of Piper too. She saw this on my shelf and encouraged me to read it. I'm glad I did. It is four short biographies of Christian women with a short commentary by Noel Piper (John Piper's wife). I'm always inspired by reading about the lives of others who have gone before me.

Dona Tomas: Discovering Authentic Mexican Cooking by Thomas Schnetz and Dona Savitsky - The kids wanted to learn about Mexican cooking this past year as part of our very long cooking education course. So I checked out several cookbooks from the library having to do with Mexican cooking and started reading. Dona Tomas is actually a restaurant that my sister says is good but a bit pricey. The cookbook was a fun read with fabulous pictures. (I like to read appealing cookbooks cover to cover like a book.) But it was the section on making tortillas that really inspired me. Out of our year, the tortillas were the biggest hit. We are now proud owners of a tortilla press and warmer, and make homemade tortillas often.

My Friend Flicka by Mary O'hara - I read this book to Amy. We enjoyed the story about a young boy and his horse. But it was reading this story that helped convince me that Amy should take horseback riding lessons. The story tells how a boy grows up and matures as he learns to take care of his colt Flicka. It is very moving story.

Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt - This is a book about books. And more specifically about children's books. It contains chapters on what makes a great book, chapters that list books for various age levels and chapters that list classics as well as new books that are worth buying for your child's library. I had read this before, when Evan was little, but it's one worth going to again and again as your children get older and need guidance on what to read.

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey - I actually did a book review on this one. You can read it here.

So there you have it. My reading list from 2008. What's on tap for this next year? Well, the kids want to learn about French cooking this year and I've found a couple of good books from the library. Dave Ramsey says that you should read a book on finances once a year. Sean bought me a boxed set from Susie Orman. So I think I'll pick one of those. And I'd like to read a bit more fiction this year. I also have several Piper books on my shelf that I have yet to tackle, and I've started The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs. That should keep me busy for a while!

I'd love to hear what you're reading or any recommendations you have.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow, that's quite a list!
This was not the year of the read for me. At least not complete reads. God sent me as it were to sections of things I really needed at the time.
I read the bible...highly recommendable..ha,ha.

Alicia said...

do you think the sibling book would be good for any set of siblings? curious.

Christina said...

Yes, Alicia, the book would be great for any set of siblings who are able to sit still long enought to have it read to them. We tried keeping Emily in for the reading time at first. She listened and like the book, but she distracted with way too many questions. So we ended up finishing up during her nap time and made much better progress.

I found that I was relating some of what was talked about with my own siblings even though I've been out of our parents house for for almost 20 years! It really was a great book and one I'd recommend to anyone. We saw lots of fruit from the discussions that developed from reading the book.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know about your booklist! I loved Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God!

Kim said...

I love this list and I love book reviews from real people with real lives! If you can make time for it and find it to be worthwhile it encourages me more as a mom and wife.

I love Honey for a Child's Heart and was surprised to come away with more than just book recommendations. I will have to check out the brother/sister book. We can always stand to grow in that area ;)

Great recommendations! Thanks for your wonderful newsletter. I just received it yesterday because I don't check my MercyDays account very often.

Have a great weekend!