Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chicken Coop Condo

For their birthdays this year Amy and Emily asked for chickens. Yes, chickens. Not a Barbie or a My Little Pony, but chickens. Problem was, the chickens needed a place to live. Backyard construction projects are Sean's forte. He likes to build. He needed to build quickly because baby chicks don't stay chicks for long.

Sean designed a big sturdy coop. It took him several weekends to build. Evan added muscle to the heavy lifts. They even added power so that the heat lamp and cooling fans could be plugged in without runing extension cords from the barn.

The result of their efforts is our new "home addition" to house our new "babies."





We selected a small pasture near the barn so that the chickens would be safer (we saw a bobcat out there two nights ago!).



Sean framed up the chicken coop on 4x4 posts. Its heavy duty.



The finished project has eight little doors on the end to make egg collection easier.



There is a cute little door for the chicks and another service door for the little people to take care of the chicks.


Our new additions. There are four Buff Orpingtons, three Golden Campines, four Andalusians, and one that might be a Sussex - but we don't really know. Amy can tell the 12 chicks a part and knows them all by name.


Last week we adopted four grown hens and a beautiful rooster to the mix. They are separated from the chicks for now because, well........ chicks are food to chickens. So the chicks need to grow so they won't be food. The hens are already providing big brown eggs for our family.


We are looking forward to the added eggs once the chicks become hens and lay their own in about five months. I'm sure there will be extras to go around!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

That is an incredible chicken coop. We don't have much land but we can have chickens. I want to get some when my babies are older and don't require as much attention.

PS are you close to Santa Barbara? Cause that is one of our favorite places to go and we have been sneaking up there quite often. If you are close maybe we can meet some time.

Tricia said...

wow! that is a great chicken coop.

Christina said...

Bethany, we are a couple of hours away. I agree, it's a great place to visit.

Tricia, Thank you! And a big thanks to IW for helping Evan with all the prepatory digging! You guys get the first dozen eggs!

Anonymous said...

That's really a nice sturdy chicken coop. How fun for the kids and good practice in taking responsibility. Sometimes I think we would like some chickens but then I realize I have enough to do and it would become my job. Helen

Leslie said...

That's the nicest coop I've seen in a long time! I guess it will get messy as the chicken roost, but it looks great now!!