Picture credit: Benchland BlogThis is a super easy recipe that my mom passed on to me. The ingredients can be adapted to fit whatever size crock-pot you own.
Beef Stew
Ingredients:
2-3 pounds of beef stew meat (I used to buy it from Cost-Co and use half the package, but now I buy it from the Farmers Market. You could also cut up your own cubes of meat from a roast.)
Carrots - cut up into thick slices or use baby carrots
Potatoes- peeled and cut up into big chunks
Potatoes- peeled and cut up into big chunks
1 to 1 1/2 cups red wine
1 to 1 1/2 cups beef broth (homemade bone broth is best, but I used to use Better than Bullion)
Herbs de Provence
Garlic salt
Flour
Oil (olive or coconut is what I use)
Directions:
1. Brown beef in oil and sprinkle on both sides with flour (rice flour mixed with a little cornstarch works good for Gluten Free), garlic salt and Herbs. Or you can dredge the beef in flour first before you brown. Work in batches and as each batch is done, transfer to the crock pot.
2. Add to your crock pot equal parts of red wine (We like Meridian's Merlot) and beef broth. I usually use 1 1/2 cups each for my big crock pot.
3. Fill in the spaces with potatoes and carrots. If you fill up your crock pot half way, it will work, just check for burning on the sides. It works best if you fill it up almost to the top.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

2 comments:
That looks delicious! It's been so long since I've done a beef stew like that one. I made a vegetable beef soup this week, but I think a stew is in order soon. Thanks for the recipe.
Yum!!!
Post a Comment