Amy is starting her first year in Junior High. Seeing that my kids can hardly remember what grade they really are in, I suppose it doesn't matter that much, but it seems a big milestone non-the-less. She, of course, would rather be outside than in, but this year has really taken off with her reading. She started "War Horse" this morning and finished it just before dinner. She has a tendency to not ask questions if she doesn't understand something so this year we will work more at vocabulary and dictionary skills. Here's her curriculum line up for the year.
Bible: We will be going through the book, "Long Story Short" as a family and memorizing the book of Philippians. I will also have time for Amy to read her Bible in the morning on her own.
Math: Amy really likes the Abeka Math series, and we will be continuing with Math 7 this year.
Language Arts:
-Spelling: I was going to have Amy do level B of the Phonetic Zoo since we own it and she liked level A. However, when she saw me reading the Spelling Power book, she was really interested in it and asked if we could do that instead.
-Grammar: Last year we started Rod and Staff's 6th grade spelling program but only got half way through it, so we'll just pick up where we left off and keep going. It's very through so it does take her a long time, but I'd like her to finish.
-Handwriting: We started with Italic, but Amy wanted to learn "real" cursive. So I started her on a book that teaches traditional cursive and we'll keep going with that then move on to Classically Cursive.
-Reading: I plan on getting library books that pertain to the period of history that we will be studying. I also like looking at the reading lists from Veritas Press and Sonlight to pick up a few extra literature books that are at her reading level. If they have horses or heroines all the better!
-Writing: I'm going to have Amy start doing more writing with her history curriculum, but we will also use the book from the Institute for Excellence in Writing that goes along with Ancient History.
-Vocabulary: We'll be working through Word Roots with Evan as a supplement. Last time I tried it with her it was over her head. But I think she can do it now.
History: We'll read Story of the World together with Emily (and who am I kidding, Evan will probably stick around too!). Then, I'll have her look up the pages in the Kingfisher History of the World Book, write dates in a timeline, and do some map work in the Geography Coloring Book that I brought for her.
Science: Amy and her friend are going to study Biology with their sisters. They will use the Christian Kids Explore Biology curriculum. Since Evan is doing Biology too, I'll try to work it out so they can watch the movies that the big kids see and observe some of the dissections and microscope work.
Logic: When Sean is at work, we're going to read a chapter of the Fallacy Detective. Evan worked through The Thinking Tool Box a few years ago and loved it. He's been wanting to go through the Fallacy Detective ever since. Coincidentally, our youth pastor is doing a study of logic at church as well. Hopefully this will be a good introduction for her.
Fine Arts: Amy loves being in the local children's choir and will continue that this year. We will also keep reading "The Gift of Music" together as a family and listening to classical music. For Art this year, I'm thinking we'll work on painting. I sure wish the kids art teacher still taught classes! This is one area that I really don't know that much about.
Home Economics: Last year Amy went through a formal Home Ec class with a friend and just loved it. This year, I'm planning on reading through "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" with her and maybe doing some projects that relate to each chapter.
P.E.: Amy will continue with her horseback riding lessons. If she took her horse out every day, I suppose that could count for all her PE, but since that doesn't happen, we'll be trying to get in some walks. I'm also trying to find a used rebounder for her to use when the weather is bad.
She has been a big help with all the chores too. We are working on a solid morning routine and working quicker so the jobs are done before school starts.
Friday, July 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment