Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Day by Day

I have had days when everyone woke up cheerful, we got all our school done for the day, Evan and Amy were kind and helpful, and Emily was a joy and delight. Yesterday was not one of those days. Maybe it was because we had "too much special" the weekend before, but everyone was having a hard time and everything seemed to go wrong. Actually, it started the night before when I threw up driving home from Karate. Those who know me know I easily get car sick, but this was the first time I lost it while driving! Thankfully we got home safe. Sean came home a few minutes later and graciously put everyone to bed, including me, and cleaned up the mess. He is still my knight in shining armor, even when the rescuing is not so glamorous.

Anyway, in the midst of the day as I was wondering why God had allowed just about everything to be a trial, He brought to remembrance this song.

Day by Day

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Power;
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faiths sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
Ever to take, as from a fathers hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.

That God had deemed the trials of that day best is still a mystery to me, but I can put my trust in the Lord who is "wise and kind beyond all measure". The day did get a little better. We had a good laugh at this funny video Sean showed us when he got home. It was nice to go to bed laughing, with the words of this hymn on my mind.

No comments: