We just got back from a wonderful 2 week road trip. The car is unpacked and the laundry mostly done. God in his goodness helped little Emily to sleep 4 1/2 hours today during her two naps! We'll blog more about the trip, including pictures, but for now I will leave you with our Road Trip Top Ten Things to be Thankful About.
1. After traveling over 3,000 miles and through 9 different states we made it safely home a day early. Sean wisely made the choice to hard charge the last leg of the trip cutting down our drive home from Yellowstone from 3 days to 2.
2. We enjoyed great food, fellowship, and fun with our good friends the Bergerons, and the Hays as well as Sean's brother Pat and his wife Tammi, who hosted us while being 8 months pregnant!
3. We were blessed with two unexpected special events in places where we visited. During our visit to Sacramento as part of our state required "California History" studies, we got to participate in "Gold Rush Days" where the streets were closed in Old Sacramento and covered with dirt. People dressed up in period costumes and there were many activities that helped to show what it was like in the 1850's during the California Gold Rush. The day was made even more special because we got to share it with my parents who came over to meet us for the day!
4. Likewise, in Bozeman, Montana at the Museum of the Rockies, they too had a special reenactment of farm life on a well preserved farm from 1905. Admission was also free that day!
5. God has blessed our family with an exceptionally good driver (Sean-not me! Ha Ha) with a built in GPS system in his head. After inadvertently taking the wrong road because it had moved from the last time Sean had come through Oregon, he had a "feeling" that we were going the wrong way. We then realized that the maps were all left back at the hotel room 200 miles back. Sean took a look at the mountains (I'm not kidding!) and took an unknown road that took us in the right direction and through a different route to the place we wanted to go with only 30 minutes lost in our trip.
6. We were reminded of the absolute beauty of God's creation. We were able to travel through lush thick forest in Montana and northern California, see amazing geological thermal features in Yellowstone, and pass through a beautiful rock canyon in Arizona.
7. I had a new breakthrough. On the last day of the trip I was able to read in the car!!! I always get so sick, but for some reason, I decided to try and was able to read half of Robinson Crusoe.
8. Evan became the new aspiring photographer. Thanks to his Papa who gave him a nice digital camera with a 1 GB memory card as an early birthday/ Christmas present. Evan took more pictures than Sean. We'll post some of them later; quite a few turned out really good.
9. Preschool Power! Emily would not have made the trip so well if it were not for this video series. Yes, we let her watch movies in the car. And even though we're all a little sick of the incredibly catchy songs about brushing your teeth and making a snack, it was better than hearing her cry! She also would take her naps as soon as I turned on Kenny G! We've tried lots of other classical and instrumental music, but she likes Vivaldi and Kenny G. Go figure.
10. Did I tell you how glad we are to be home?
Friday, September 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Glad you're back! I look forward to seeing pictures. Sounds like it was a great trip.
Next time, I'm lobbying that your route come through Kansas City! Glad to hear you had a good time even though I didn't get to see you.
The tv is a life saver on long trips. Next time get ear phones for her and then you won't have to listen. We've been able to let all the boys use ear phones, thanks to splitters.
It sounds like you guys had a super trip! And I am so impressed with your husbands skills with direction.
I will be back to see the pictures!
Post a Comment