Right now our Farmers Market is full of wonderful produce. Something I love to do with the kids is have a "Farmers Market Dinner". This is especially great with preschoolers who are just learning about what they do and don't like, and who like to "help" as much as possible. Why not get them helping with dinner and loving vegetables! Because there are no recipes to follow and most vegetables cook quickly this is an easy dinner, plus the kids get excited about "their vegetable" and are more prone to try others. My kids have brought home broccoli flowers, brussel sprouts, beets, as well as the usual carrots (to be eaten with the greens attached!), corn and peas.
We all go to the market and I let the kids taste whatever is being offered. They get to pick out one vegetable each. I pick out one I like and we get one dad likes too. Then we pick up a chicken on the way home, or grill fish or hamburger patties (something easy and simple). The kids help shuck the corn. Someone always picks corn. They can help snap the ends off green beans and wash the different vegetables. Then we either steam or boil what needs to be cooked. The rest gets set on the table after washing. When they are this fresh a little salt and an herb or two (think basil sniped or torn by a 3 year old over sliced tomato) is all that is needed for really delicious food. I've had company over who swore they didn't like a certain vegetable actually enjoy it when it was freshly picked that morning!
Of course, berries with ice cream for dessert makes everyone happy and is a great way to end a Farmers Market Dinner.
Sunday, October 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Great idea. NOthing quite like fresh picked and eaten the same day!
What a fun idea!
Post a Comment