Saturday, December 02, 2006

In Memory of a Fallen Hero

This past week a beloved friend, of my dear friend Cara was killed in Iraq. She wrote a beautiful and moving tribute to him. Yesterday, I read Psalm 144 to my kids explaining that Troy prayed this Psalm before he flew. They had many questions. Amy was actually confused and thought that our friend's husband was the one who had died. I was glad to have the chance to clear that one up!

I wanted the kids to understand God's sovereignty in this situation, to grasp how good He is even in in the midst of war.

"Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for
battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my
shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me. ...Deliver me and
rescue me from the hands of foreigners whose mouths are full of lies, whose right
hands are deceitful. " Psalm 144:1-2,11

Even though God did not choose to rescue Troy in the way we tend to think of, God rescued him from sin and from this world and brought Troy to Himself.

No comments: