Thursday, May 31, 2007

Flower Arranging

One of the things that I love about having a garden is being able to make flower arrangements with what I find outside. I took a class in college just for fun but really I learned most of what I know from my mom.

I love being able to take flowers to friends about as much as I love having them in my house. When I give them away the arrangement is etched in my mind fresh and lovely and I never have to see it die! So I took some pictures of my latest arrangements just after I finished them looking their best.

This is one of my favorite vases to arrange with. It is English creamware and I got it at a garage sale!



This arrangement is in our guest bathroom. The mirrors make it look like there are twice as many irises.

We had an explosion of roses a few weeks ago. I'll post some garden pictures soon. The roses on the left smell so good. Sean bought me the rose bush for Valentines Day when we were first married.


The vase on the right is a canning jar wrapped in green netting and tied with string. My sister used these in her wedding several years ago.








I brought this arrangement to a friends house last month. I'm always on the lookout at garage sales for pretty pitchers to use as vases.

Here is the first arrangement on our mantle next to Emily's baby picture.


9 comments:

Wendy said...

I LOVE flowers! These are all so beautiful, great arranging.

BTW - Glad to see you posting again! I enjoyed reading about the DC trip. It looks like they had a great time together!

Bethany said...

So beautiful. I wish I had tons of roses in my yard. This is my first year with any besides icebergs so we shall see. You do an amazing job arranging. I still need to learn some tips on that. I kind of just clip and throw together. I would love to see some pics of your yard too. I bet it is amazing now.

Christina said...

Thank you for your compliments.

Wendy, I was actually going back and forth this week on wether or not I even want to keep blogging! I appreciate your encouragement.

Bethany, you have such a great eye for beauty and color. I saw one of your arrangments and it looked lovely. There are a few things that I learned that I guess you could call tips or tricks. Maybe you already know some of these, but this is what comes to mind.

* There are two types of arrangements: viewed from one side and viewed from all sides.

-on a one sided arrangement it's best to have a focal point, usually one larger flower that is close to the vase. The one in the crystal pitcher is a good example. The other side is actually bare. You work with taller flowers in back and shorter ones in front.

- on an arrangement that is viewed from all sides, it should be more symetrical. The one on the mantle is a good example. Even though I ended up placing it against a wall it was "round" on all sides. Because I'm no pro it had a good side and a bad side, thus the placement against the wall!

*Your eye will naturally feel more at ease with uneven amounts: one large flower in the center, not two. Three, or five of a certain color are best. On a sided arrangement I try to "balance" out bold color and size of blooms on each side.

*Arrangements with all one flower are nice. The little squaty one in the creamware picture is like that. Those particular roses are so large and have such short stems it's pretty much the only way I can arrange them.

* Most people don't put enough flowers into their arrangement or (less common) they don't know when to stop. If you need filler look for other plants that can fill in. The arrangement with the crystal pitcher has boxwood from our front yard as greenery. It worked! I also like to add "filligree" like lavendar or other airy flowers for different texture. The group on our mantle has columbine. Sometimes I grow flowers just to be good filler for arrangements! This year I'm growing snapdragons, cosmos, and batchlor buttons. I love sweet peas for that too.

I guess this could have gone as another post! Sorry! But I hope that gives you a good starting point.

Me said...

The flowers and the arrangements are so beautiful. I can't wait to have a house someday, so I can try my hand at gardening. I used to have to make a flower arrangement every Monday, for the company I worked for. My arrangements were never as good as these! :) However, Southern California sure did have some beautiful flowers to pick from, so even if my arrangements weren't perfect, the flowers always were. I will have to use your tips next time I try to arrange some flowers.

Thanks so much for this!

God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing the tips, too.

sixbergerons said...

Christina,

I finally got a chance to catch up on some of your blogs. The flowers are gorgeous. I too would like some pics of your garden. I finally updated our blog, so you can see newer photos of the house as it has progressed and also a pic of Eva with her new haircut. I know you tagged me for a meme. I promise I'll get to it but maybe not before July! Tell Evan and Sean that I really liked the blogging from D.C. Brandt enjoyed it too. love, C

Kristen Borland said...

gorgeous!! i love all your vases, especially the english one from the garage sale. what a great find!

Anonymous said...

I love your arrangements! Especially the English creamwear one! So beautiful. I just love bringing flowers inside. I've so missed having a garden since being married. I grew up with tons of flowers and a huge veggie garden. Our first year we lived at an apt. so we couldn't grow anything, although we did grow veggies at my parents, but not the same thing. Now, all our time has been taken with our house, and with all the work going on to the outside of the house, I haven't been able to plant anything, for fear of it getting demolished. Last year we did a veggie garden, but it was demolished by ground hogs. I literally got, like one tomato!! So next year the work on the house should be over, and I'll spend the winter planning gardens. I'm looking forward to that. I'll feel like Mary from "The Secret Garden."

Christina said...

Danielle, "The Secret Garden" is one of my all time favorite books!