The day before the dentist appointment, I had a melt down. I felt melancholy and blue. Sure, my circumstances were not what I'd really like, but they weren't that awful. Others suffer much more than loneliness, laundry and dentist chairs. But I was full of tears instead of hope.
Before I left, I put "The Misery of Job and the Mercy of God" in my purse. It is one of the books that I bought from Desiring God back in June when they had their $5 sale. I don't really know why I bought it. But God used it at the dentist office to draw me to Him. I almost cried as I read it. It is a beautiful poem on the sovereignty and goodness of God in the midst of suffering. John Pipers words echoed my heart in the misery I felt that day. But more importantly, they gently reminded me that God not only knows about my suffering, but orchestrates the events in my life to help me know Him more. He is sovereign and He is sweet.
"He is not poor nor much enticed
Who loses everything but Christ.
It won't be long before the rod
Becomes the tender kiss of God."
I left the dentist office in more physical pain, but much lighter in my spirit. The tears were gone. They were replaced with renewed hope in God who showed His mercy to Job and who is showing His mercy to me.

4 comments:
I'm sorry you had a rough week - I totally know what you mean. But don't minimize your struggles - God can use those struggles to bring Himself glory when we do have hope instead of (or through) our tears!
What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart!
I hope your tooth is much better and I pray God's continued sweetness over your life as you begin a new week.
Blessings!
I agree with Kim, this is a beautiful post.
Sorry about your rough week. I hope you're feeling better soon. Praise God for his mercy!
i can relate i am so similar....i want that book, thanks
hope you are doing better
Post a Comment