Friday, October 12, 2007

School This Week 10/12/07

My blogging friend Leslie, has started a new weekly post. I thought it was a good idea so I'm copying her! I don't know if I'll be able to post every week. But I like the idea of giving a little weekly report on what we did during the week for school. It also encouraged me to look at the little highlights and bright spots of the week since I far too easily remember the discouraging and hard times.

This week Emily learned how to use scissors. I bought a little book from Timberdoodle called Let's Cut Paper that we started to use. She was so proud of herself! Each morning she ran to her dad to show him what she'd done. It was too cute!

Amy went to her grandparents this week. That made our school week look very different. We do science, history, Latin, writing, and Bible together with Evan. She enjoyed her week off being spoiled by her Grandma and Papa. She got to go swimming and shopping quite a bit. And she had a lovely tea party with her Great Grandma, her Auntie and her Grandma. Usually the kids take turns having a week at Grandma and Papa's house during the summer, but it didn't work out this year. So we're just fitting it in where we can! We love the flexibility homeschooling offers.

Since Amy was gone, we didn't try to work on the subjects that we do with her. Instead Evan and I worked a little more intensely on math and grammar. And it just so happened that this week his spelling was particularly troublesome. So we were able to spend some more time on that as well. But yesterday, Evan said, "When are things going to get back to normal. I mean when is Amy coming home?" *big sigh*

We did get to do some fun things together too. Evan loves going to thrift stores and Alicia told me about a good deal at a local one. So we took off mid morning, something we never would have done had it been a regular school day.

We have all been various levels of sick this week too. Emily had a fever much of the week. So like Evan, I am hoping that things get back to "normal" soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It also encouraged me to look at the little highlights and bright spots of the week since I far too easily remember the discouraging and hard times.

Me too.

Learning to cut paper with scissors will keep my Abbey preoccupied for a while. She loves to cut shapes and paste. That's so sweet that Emily wanted to show her daddy what she learned.

I put a link in my comments for you so you can find Times Attack. It's a computer game you can buy online and download, or buy in a box.

Alicia said...

Christina,
This is a great idea. Honestly, it is what I originally started a blog for. Some weeks it is hard to cram all of life into a journal entry. I tend to write more of what is in my own head. I need to get back to recording life as well. I think sometimes I wonder if others will even want to read it, yet I found your entry so fun. The little triumphs are so important to remember as well as the struggles. He makes all things beautiful in His time!
I will be posting a wonderful link for preschoolers worksheets online soon. Caedmon is going to be packed with busywork! I found it this week and it is much of what we purchased for the girls through Rodd and Staff Preschool books.

Alicia said...

p.s.
It's good to see you back online again. :)

Kristen Borland said...

i can't believe emily can cut! i want to try this with zeb! please keep posting what you do with emily. i need the ideas.

Me said...

Thank you for giving me a peak into your homeschooling week. I can't wait to have some babies to homeschool. :) I feel so much more prepared for the task, by reading all the wisdom you and the other blogging ladies have.

God Bless!
Leigh

Kim said...

I love these updates too :) I may order that book as well. Samuel loves to cut but not with much direction!