Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Meme



1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Wrapping paper with fancy ribbon. When we were first married, I tried to use the cheap curly ribbon and Sean asked me if I could please use nice ribbon. I'm sure he doesn't even remember that conversation, but now I like to use the ribbon that has wired edges.

2. REAL OR FAKE TREE?
Real! I grew up with 17 foot tall REAL trees. The tradition dies hard.



3. When do you put up the tree?

Varies, depends on Sean's schedule and when he has some free time.
4. When do you take the tree down?
A few days after Christmas

5. Do you like eggnog?
Love it!

6. Favorite gift received as a child?

I have no idea! I received a lot of good ones.
7. Do you have a nativity scene?

Yes, we have a playmobile one, a clay one, a little glass one from Mexico and an expensive set that my father in law sent to us for Christmas last year. With all that, I'll be on the look out for after Christmas sales to buy one for each of the kids rooms. (Inspired by Kim.)

8. Hardest person to buy for?

Sean

9. Easiest person to buy for?
My mom, we like a lot of the same things.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
The 9 foot tall metal windmill that was supposed to go in our yard.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Snail Mail. Our family newsletter produced entirely by my creative husband is something that at least a dozen people or more ask specifically if they are going to get. But after printing upwards of 150 we're thinking maybe next year asking people to give us their email if they still want to get it. Who knows we may just send it to that dozen who really want it!

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?

We just watched A White Christmas today so I can't think of much else. But that is a really great movie.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

The day after Christmas. But really in earnest around Oct/November

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Sure, anyone want a 9 foot windmill?!

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

Dessert.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
I've always wanted to try a clear tree that was elegant and classy. Sean likes colored and all our ornaments are kid made, bought for kids or little santas and snowmen dressed like what Sean does for work. So we always go with the colored. This year we have lights that have an "elegant" sparkle. I put white lights on the windowsill with greenery.

17. Favorite Christmas music?
Live! I love going to Christmas concerts.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?

We travel to my parents one year and stay home the next.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's?

No.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?

In years past we've had a snowflake. This year, I put up a cross ornament for two reasons. One, I didn't want to get out the ladder to put the snowflake up with. (The cross has a loop that I could just reach to the top, the snowflake has to be plugged in.) But mostly because I think it's a cool idea.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
One present on Christmas eve, the rest Christmas morning...unless Sean has to work it, then we get creative.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

My tendency to want to spend too much money.

23. What is the "corniest" family tradition you do, or miss doing?

I really miss those 17 foot tall trees and the all day hikes that it took to find them.

24. Ugliest Christmas Decoration ever invented?

I really dislike "cutesy" things.

25. Which looks the best, theme trees or homey trees?

I grew up with the homey tree, and I every year we have a homey tree. (see #16) But one of these years, I'd like to have a theme tree. Although our tree is in danger of becoming a "Santa ____ Man" tree and that's not quite the theme I had in mind!

Here are some pictures.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a picture of the outside of your home, with the wreaths and the potted pansies (is that what they are? Hard to tell). It's beautiful! Love the ornaments hanging in the window too.

Jenn said...

So fun! I love all the ornaments hanging in the window!

FishMama said...

I miss you! It's so great to read about your Christmas and to see pics. Glad the tree top idea suits you. :)

If your sisters don't already have dibs on that coat, can Cana have it? ;)

Christina said...

Yes, Danielle, that is our house. Sorry that I didn't mention it. It was getting late last night! I bought 6 wreaths on clearance after Christmas a few years ago and put them up in each of the windows facing the street. I love how it looks and it is very easy to do.
Yes, the flowers are pansies. They will bloom all winter long. One of the benefits of living in California!

Alicia said...

I too really liked your ornaments in the window. I think I'll bank that one for next year! I love the ornament balls at the dollar store too because they are plastic and the kids can mess with them more during decoating instead of me fretting and gasping.

Tricia said...

I love the wreaths in the windows and the ornaments. It looks beautiful.

Zoanna said...

I, too, love the wreaths and potted pansies. The repeating pots with purple flowers is so restful and welcoming. The coat and hat are just the best on your little girl!! And, like you, I love using wired ribbon and not the cheap curling ribbon. It's funny your hubby mentioned it but doesn't remember, but it stuck with you!

Kim said...

Your decorations are beautiful! Chris and I decided this year to do the wreaths in the windows next year :)I will have to see if I can find any bargains in the next few days.