Last week, I had a scary episode where my throat closed up and I couldn't breath. I had eaten a couple of grapes from our back yard, and when the juice from the grapes hit my throat it spasmed. Evan was right there asking if I was OK. (It's always good to have a boy scout in the house!)
I was so scared, I peed my pants. Yes, I really did. And I didn't care, because all I cared about was being able to breathe. As I was about to call 911 everything calmed down and I was fine.
After seeing a doctor, it turns out I have a very uncommon form of reflux called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR). I had no idea since I don't have any of the classic signs like heartburn. However, the acid from my stomach is making its way to the back of my throat causing it to be red and irritated. (I know this because the ENT specialist I saw put a little camera up my nose and into my throat!) Because of the irritation, the sweetness of the grape juice cause my larynx to spasm. Think about the zing you get when something too sweet or cold hits a sore tooth. It's also know as a larygospasm. Click here to see a video of what the throat looks like.)
The doctor gave me a list of things to do to help the LPR go away. And I'm really motivated to never have a larygospasm again!
Don't eat 3-4 hours before bed time.
Avoid fatty and fried food.
Eat small meals, slowly
Avoid chocolate, peppermint and carbonated drinks
Avoid Caffeine
Avoid Tomato and citrus foods
This list looks more like a way to lose weight. Back in January, I said I wanted to be eating more healthy this year. Now, I'm extra motivated!
Saturday, September 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
i'm so glad the doctor had an answer for you and that there are things you can do to help avoid another episode. that is just so scary! (and that video is awful! i would be so frightened!)
That IS scary!! I'm so glad it's something you'll be able to manage.
That is terrifying! One of those things you couldn't possibly be prepared for. Glad things turned out okay and you know what to watch out for.
wow, i'm sorry i didn't know you had had such a scare when i saw you at church this morning. i'm glad you are okay!
did you feel like you had a sore throat?
wow, i'm sorry i didn't know you had had such a scare when i saw you at church this morning. i'm glad you are okay!
did you feel like you had a sore throat?
How scary! I am so glad the doctor told you how to manage it. I could not bring myself to watch the video.
wow, what a scary moment. A friend of mine is on this "diet" and it's helped a lot. She also didn't have the normal signs but is feeling much better after following this routine. And yes, I think that she dropped a few pounds. :)
Wow, that's weird - I have that happen to me almost every time I eat chocolate or chew gum. I always thought it was just some strange thing, but now I see chocolate and peppermint are on your list, and I wonder if I have the same thing?
I hope eliminating those things helps you!
Post a Comment