
Yesterday I received my co-op order and everyone in our group wanted to know, "What's in the tube?" It was rhubarb! I know, it's funny to some to have to order rhubarb, but I can't find it here even though it's rhubarb season. I keep looking for it at Farmers market, but to no avail. And the stuff they're selling at the grocery store is pretty pathetic looking. But my tube had several pounds of lovely ruby red rhubarb, perfect for pie!
I'm embarrassed to say that 10 years ago, I watched a few episodes of Oprah. The only redeeming thing about those hours wasted was the cooking show. I frantically scribbled down the recipes and I'm so glad I did. There were two recipes that were gold. One was a soup recipe that is aptly named Summer in A Bowl. It's delicious! The other was a recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. I've made it simpler, but still yummy by substituting a streusel top for the two- crust version .
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
4 cups rhubarb, sliced
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1/2 Tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
Mix together and put in a pie plate. Add streusel topping. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown, and the pie filling is bubbly.
Topping
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup cold butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup oats
Toss together with your fingers until crumbly. Add to the top of your pie and gently press down.
When I made this last month from our co-op order, Evan and Amy and I loved it. (Poor Emily is allergic to strawberries.) Evan declared it was the best pie he'd ever eaten. He takes after his Papa who also loves Rhubarb pie. But Sean, who I was hoping to impress, said he could take it or LEAVE it! Evan and I looked at each other and smiled. I know we were both thinking, "If dad doesn't want it, then there's more for me!"

1 comment:
the mystery solved. i would never have guessed that was what was in the tube.
Post a Comment