Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Blessing

One of the first things people notice when they come over to our new house is what they hear. If you stand still outside, all you can hear are the birds. We are in a valley that muffles the noise of the world. It is one of the first things we noticed too. It was such a contrast to where we lived before. And it's one of the reasons we loved this house and property.
Today Al Mohler writes about noise and children. It's a very interesting article.

"Our culture now assumes noise and the constant availability of music, electronic chatter, and entertainment. In many homes, there is virtually no silence -- at least during waking hours. In some homes, family members live in isolated environments of independent sound, with iPods, televisions, radios, and any number of other technologies providing a customized experience of noise.

The life of the mind and the shaping of the soul require the ability to hear, recognize, and understand what would be lost in a cacophony of sound. "

Read the whole article here.

It reminded me again what a gift from God this house is for our family. We took the kids to see the movie UP (very good, by the way) and while the kids liked it, they had their hands over their ears almost the whole time. I didn't realize how sensitive they are to noise. It was so loud for them. However, I would rather it be a bit of a shock for them to be in a movie theater, than a shock for them to be outside, where all they could hear would be the birds.

In the article he makes a quote about the quietness needed for children to watch a lady bird crawl up a leaf. I laughed because just last week, Emily and her friends sat for 15 minutes watching a snail move. They were fascinated watching it leave a trail across the driveway.

We still have so much work to make this house our home. Boxes need to be unpacked, carpet needs to be replaced, toilets need to be installed, and pictures need to be hung. But I am glad to be reminded of another reason why this move and this house are a blessing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blessing! God gives good gifts.

Tricia said...

I was just thinking about how noise blocks out so much, God's voice and the beauty that He created. Thanks for sharing your blessing!!!;)

Alicia said...

You are so fortunate to be in such a pretty setting. I would be out in quiet if I could too but it would seem that God has purposes for us here RIGHT next to people!:) That area you are in is lovely for sure.
Caedmon stopped on the way into the house the other day when he spotted a daddy long legs starting to roll up a fly for food. We all went on in and he sat there for so long I thought he'd gone missing. It was 20 minutes later when I realized he still had not come in! I opened the door and he said to come and look. He was just fascinated and totally still and observant. I thought it was such a great little moment to zoom in on God's quietly humming creation.