Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Refried Beans

My friend Paula gave me this recipe. She also happens to be my pastor's wife and a fabulous cook. Evan loved these beans. I'm so glad because he is hungry all the time! I told him I'd make up a big pot to have on hand so he could have a bowl with a tortilla for a snack whenever the need struck.

*I forgot to add, that I soaked the beans overnight first. This helps digestion and makes them cook up faster!

Refried Beans

2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed and sorted
8 cups cold water or chicken broth
¾ cup oil
1 bulb of roasted garlic, 6 – 7 cloves
2 – 3 teaspoons salt (less if you use chicken broth with salt already in it)
1 bay leaf
1 finely chopped tomato or 1 8-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices

1. In large pot place beans with liquid and bay leaf. Cook on high heat and partially cover with a lid.

2. As soon as the beans start to boil, lower the heat and continue to simmer. Cook for two hours, adding hot water as it cooks away. Keep water level at 2” above beans.

3. After two hours, beans should be soft. If not, cook them another 20 – 30 minutes. Add oil, salt, tomato and garlic. Simmer 1 – 1 ½ hours longer or as long as you can with the spices and oil. The longer the beans simmer, the better they will taste!

4. If desired, when the beans stick to the pot, turn off the heat, remove the bay leaf and mash them with a potato masher.

5. If cooking for a crowd, double dry beans and add a little more salt, tomato, garlic and oil, tasting as you go. Never fill pot more than ⅓ full of dry beans.

This post is part of the Bean and Legume Recipe Carnival over at Kitchen Stewardship.
Visit Kitchen Stewardship for more frugal, healthy bean recipes as part of the October Fest Carnival of Super Foods. Next week’s theme: Broth/Stock Recipes.

2 comments:

Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship said...

MMMmmm, simple and healthy. I like roasted garlic a lot but have never tried it in refried beans.

Thank you for joining the first October Fest Carnival of Super Foods! This week’s theme is broth/stock. Hope to see you back!
Katie

Banana said...

This looks like a great recipe, I'll be making it tonight! Thanks for sharing.