Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Protection of The Lord and The Body of Christ

"19 Oh, how abundant is your goodness,which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind! 20 In the cover of your presence you hide them from the plots of men; you store them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.
21 Blessed be the Lord,for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me when I was in a besieged city.22 I had said in my alarm, “I am cut off from your sight.”But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy when I cried to you for help.
23 Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.24 Be strong, and let your heart take courage,all you who wait for the Lord!" Psalm 31:19-23



Earlier this week, I was broadsided on my way to Costco. I had just dropped Amy off at choir, and was headed down a street that had cross traffic. The young lady that hit me thought I had a stop sign, which I did not. God protected us. Emily was strapped in really well to her car seat. Sean always has me kneel on it to tug it really, really tight. She sometimes looks comical strapped in with her 5 point harness. She can hardly move! But yesterday, it was anything but comical. The other car hit right at her door and even though she got some bruises, she didn't receive any severe injury. Praise God!



Evan was on the opposite side and reading a book with his head down. He said he hit his head slightly and had a headache. I got tossed around the most. When I got out of the car, I realized that my neck and upper back were hurting. So we went off to the hospital to get it checked out and documented for insurance.



At this point I was ready to cry at the drop of a hat. I felt so overwhelmed and so pumped up with adrenaline. The ER was crowded and Amy needed to be picked up from choir in an hour. Evan was supposed to have his first leadership meeting of the year at Boy Scouts that night. I didn't know I was going to do. Sean was out of town. (Thankfully he's home today!) I called the one friend I had a number for at choir. Thankfully, she was at choir and of course, was more than willing to bring Amy to me at the ER. I sent a text to Evan's scout master (who happens to also be our pastor, two texts for one!) telling him we weren't going to make it to scouts because the ER was full. He was out of town too, but said he'd let the elders know to pray for us. In what seemed to me just a manner of minutes, in walk Kevin and Felicia (one of our elders and his wife)to the ER! I started to cry again.

Waiting in the hospital is never very fun. Waiting 3 hours without dinner and with 3 tired children is not something I would ever choose to do. Praise God, I did not have to do it alone. Kevin and Felicia stayed with us the whole time, keeping our spirits light, playing with Emily, and visiting with Amy while Evan, Emily and I went back to be seen by the doctors (finally!). I know Sean was relieved too, since he was so far away, to know that we weren't alone.

3 comments:

Kim said...

So glad you are okay!

Leslie said...

Moments like that make it really clear to me why God's will includes being part of a faith family. I'm glad y'all are OK!!

A thankful heart said...

I remember our first miscarriage(at 13 wks) like it was yesterday! Alot of the little details...but the most special one to me that day was, when I called my dad at work to tell him we had lost the baby, I needed to go to the local ER over the grade for blood work and a shot..By the time Rex and I drove up, my daddy was waiting in the doorway of the ER(he and my mama had both left work to be with Rex and I)!! So you can ALWAYS count on them to either join you in your trials-physically, but if they can't (or can I guess!) they are faithful to be praying for you! I'm so glad they were able to be there with you...and I am so grateful for your safety!!!