Monday, June 26, 2006

Books We Are Reading

I love to read. My husband wishes he loved to read. My kids are learning to love to read. As part of our summer schedule, the kids and I are reading an hour each day during Emily's second nap time. OK, most of the time I fold laundry and wish I was reading. But if I get the chance, I read with them too. Here's what we're reading currently.

Sean is reading Knowing God by J.I. Packer, and we are reading Stop Dating the church by Joshua Harris together.

I like to have a couple books going at once. Right now I am reading When People are Big, and God is Small by Edward T. Welch, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper, and Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney.

Evan is like his mother and has several books going at once. Some books he prefers to read in the daytime, some he looses for awhile, and some are developing interests he feels he must satisfy now! He is in the middle of The Boy knight by G.A. Henty, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, Davy Crockett by George Sullivan, and various military airplane books.

Amy is working her way through the Henry and Mudge, and Billy and Blaze series.

Emily of course can't read, but she loves to look at her little board books. Her attention span has lengthened a bit too and she asks us (points and grunts) to read her more than one book at a time now. It's very cute to see Evan and Amy reading to her.

The kids and I are listening to Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain on tape. And I am reading Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens to them.

At night, when Sean is home, we read individually to them. I am reading through the American Girl stories to Amy. And Sean is reading Boyhood and Beyond by Bob Schultz to Evan.

Whew! That's a lot of books! Obviously, we don't get through any of them fast, except maybe the Henry and Mudge books. But, reading is a big part of our day, and we like to meander through them, reading more of one book one day, and another the next.

While I put links to Amazon.com and other places that sell these books so you could see what they are like if you cared to, we didn't buy most of them. We are very blessed with a great library. Most of these books we've checked out, so we can't go too slow! The librarians have come to know us and we love them. Some of the books have also been gifts from family and friends. Thank you so much!

Many of these books have been recommendations from friends, family and homeschool catalogues. If you have a favorite book, let us know!

Christina

3 comments:

FishMama said...

Go Girl! Wow, you are biting off a lot to chew with Welch, Piper and Carolyn. My hat is off to you. Bryan has really enjoyed the Welch book. DWYL is my favorite Piper book and you know, I love Feminine Appeal.

How great, Sean, to be tackling Packer, esp. since you don't LOVE to read like your wife.

Miss you guys. Can't ya move to Kansas?

Jenn said...

Christina,

Thanks for all the books! I am always looking for new things for us to read to the kids, especially as we are getting ready to "officially" start school. I got your comment about your site. Thanks. I look forward to learning from you. Can you tell me how to delete a comment. I have them hidden for now. Obviously, I'm not the computer genius in the family and my husband is out of town!

BTW, we love Piper too.

jenn

Christina said...

Jessica, We miss you guys too. Honestly, with all the changes we've had around here this past year we keep joking about moving to Kansas! I think with this season of my life being a bit dry in regard to friendships, it has given me more time to read.

Jenn, we just finished Oliver Twist today and although I'm glad I read it, it was probably a bit over my 7 year old's head. She was pretty lost. But then, she's my dreamer. Ditto for Huckleberry Finn. She has, however, really enjoyed the American Girls books.