Monday, November 06, 2006

Bran Muffins

Yesterday we made my grandmothers bran muffins with whole wheat flour (White Whole Wheat from King Arthur), and evaporated cane juice, instead of white flour and sugar. They turned out great. This recipe has been in our family forever and we all love it. My grandmother claims the dough keeps in the refrigerator for up to six weeks. But we've never had it last that long. It does make a big batch so you'll need a big bowl to mix it in. I think my Kitchen Aid is 5 quarts and it just barely holds it all.

Refrigerator Bran Muffins

2 cups boiling water
2 cups Bran Buds (made by All Bran now)
1 1/4 cups butter
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 quart buttermilk
5 cups flour
5 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon salt
4 cups All Bran original

1. Stir the boiling water and Bran Buds together and set aside.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar, then add the eggs, one at a time.
3. Add the buttermilk and mix. Add the Bran Bud mixture and mix.
4. Add flour, soda and salt. Mix until combined.
5. Stir in All Bran
6. You can add raisins or nuts if you like.
7. Spoon into muffin cups or greased muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I have the exact same receipe!!!! My family has made the same ones for years. I always tell people they are the YUMMY bran muffins not the dry yucky kind. I just made these two days ago. I always have to remind my kids to drink lots of water because they always want more than one. HEE HEE. They are a great thing to bake for new moms....all that nice fiber. I have had my batter in the fridge for a long time when I didn't have kids. Now we eat them all in a week easily.