Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Holiday Crafts Part 2

I've been trying to remember the other crafts we've done in years past. It's funny how my memory slips after just a few years. I didn't make any extra, so I don't have any pictures or examples to show you. But here are some other ideas that we've used. Many years Evan made one craft and Amy made another, that is why there are more than one per year.


  • Homemade lip gloss- I got a recipe off the internet
  • Rootbeer that the kids help make and bottle at a microbrewery. (Sean's brother used to work at one. But the public can do this too.)
  • Seed kits - We saved seeds from our garden, then bought little tins at Michaels to put them in. As a bonus, the kids made little labels to fit on the containers to tell what seeds were in each one.
  • Birdhouses - This was last years project. Dad took over since I had a baby to nurse!
  • Soap-on-a-Rope - I got the recipe off the internet. Basically, you shave Dove soap, add oatmeal and maybe something else, microwave and roll in a ball around rope tied in a knot. It was very fun for little ones.
  • Fizzy bath salts - A recipe from Family Fun Magazine
  • Candy Jars - From Martha Stewart Living Magazine
  • Candy Frames - In the oven we melted round peppermint candies together forming a frame. We put the kids school pictures (wallet size) in the frames with red rick- rack glued as a hanger.

I'm not good at coming up with ideas on my own, but I'm really good at copying a good idea! Almost all these crafts you can find online. If you would like more information about any particular craft, I'll try and see if I can find my original recipe. I have a huge file drawer of all my magazine clippings!

No comments: