Friday, December 22, 2006

The Ornaments on Our Tree

Continued blogging by Christina's alter ego, Sean.....

As you can see, our Christmas tree is covered with ornaments. Most have special meaning to our family. Each year we buy the children an ornament and place it in their stockings. The ornaments often represent something that the children did during the year. Amy received a Ballerina ornament when she was in ballet and Evan received a little red wagon ornament the year we gave him the life-sized version.

Sean's two sisters also send ornaments every year. His sister, Molly, often sends several for the kids. And Sean's sister, Katie, has an amazing ability to find cute little appropriately-themed police ornaments. Needless to say, our tree has filled up.




This ornament was hand-crafted by my creative and extremely talented friend, Cara. It was from a time when we were a family of four. Cara made Evan in a soccer uniform and Amy as a ballerina. And of course, Sean was wearing what used to be his trademark "off duty" fanny pack. Too funny!






The year we did the candy cane ornaments the children handed them out as gifts to their aunts, uncles, and grandparents. Sean always feared the ornaments would be carried off by armies of aunts. But they remain today. And as Sean pointed out, "still tasty after all these years!"






Madeline joined our tree the year Amy was enjoying her Madeline doll house. The teacup ornament was a gift from Molly, knowing that I love collecting the bigger version.






And we gave Evan the Star Wars ornament simply because this was the year (and every year since) that he has been consumed by anything STAR WARS.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I love all of the personal ornaments! Thanks for sharing!

Bethany said...

So cute. My Grandmother and Mother always gave us ornaments every year so when we left we had a tree full of memories for our own homes. I am doing the same with my boys...as is their Grandmother and their Greatgrandmother was. My Grandmother died January of 05 and my Aunt sent us all a bell ornament that Christmas with her picture and a poem...one for each of kids and one for us. I Thought that was so special and appropriate.

Thanks for sharing some of your ornaments. So special. I have missed your posts.

Zoanna said...

Ditto on loving the personal ornaments. I have my mom on videotape explaining the history or stories behind each one. It's especially important to me now that she has stopped celebrating Christmas in favor of Hanukkah. I mean, she'll celebrate with us here on Christmas Day with gift exchange and all, but I doubt she'll ever put up a tree again.

FishMama said...

We have the same ornament traditions in our family, too.

Love the family ornament, Christina. Before I read the caption I thought, "WOW! That really looks like them!" Cara is amazing!