Thursday, January 07, 2010

Honest Scrap Award


Well after two months (has it really been two months!) of not blogging, I almost don't know what to write! Thank you Tricia, for not only awarding me a lovely award, saying nice things about me, but also giving me an easy way back into blogging.

It's not that I don't have things to say. Sean's dad died in October and we had to leave for Idaho. Most of what I would like to write about, I wasn't sure I should. We are going back up in May to finalize some of his estate. Maybe then will be the right time.


Back to the Scrap Award...here are 10 honest things about me. (As if I'd lie to you all!)


1. I am always cold. It might be a thyroid problem, but I'm not sure. The only exception is when it gets over 100 degrees and then I'm too hot to function. I really like it around 75 degrees.


2. I love to read. I read cookbooks cover to cover. I usually read a marriage book or two a year, several christian books dealing with whatever topic I 'd like instruction on, sometimes good fiction, and as much of the Bible as I can. I always read the forward, introduction, notes and footnotes. I just finished up a series of books by N.D. Wilson. They were so fun! I'm also reading Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs, and the Mr. Pipes series with the kids.


3. I pretty much don't eat anything with wheat (or actually gluten) in it. Emily has responded so well to going off gluten. Her rashes all cleared up and she is no longer so so skinny. Even my parents noticed that she just looks and acts healthier. In the whole process, I noticed that I feel much better off gluten. And when I do eat it, it gives me really bad gas, which is probably a sign that I don't digest it that well.


4. I have to wear socks to bed. See number 1.


5. I've always wanted to be a singer. I tried out for a choir group in college and didn't make it. Now I get to live vicariously through my daughter, who has a beautiful voice, (and coincidentally, sings with the same director that I tried out for).


6. I like really dark chocolate. Anything under 60% cacao is too sweet for me.


7. I have horrible handwriting. Teaching my kids has helped. If I really concentrate and practice it's better. But generally when I take notes (like during a sermon), I have my own shorthand. Most of the time I can read it. Usually people tell me I should have been a doctor.


8. I am so incredibly thankful for our church family. If you've read this blog for a while, then you know my "church history". Having experienced loss, makes this present blessing all the more sweet.

9. I really enjoy quiet mornings. With three kids, I need to get up pretty early in order to get them! Lately the sunrises have been so pretty. Reading my Bible, drinking Teeccino/Coffee blend and looking up to a glorious sunrise while the whole house is quiet is such a fabulous way to start the day! In another season of my life, I'd like to add walking in the morning too. Right now, I can't really just leave the house and Sean's schedule is too sporadic to allow me the flexibility to just take off. But one of these days it would be really nice.


10. I really enjoy blogging (even though I go months at times neglecting to write). It has served different purposes at different times in my life. I started blogging 3 1/2 years ago to connect with a friend who lived far away. I made a few new friends during a really difficult time in my life, friends who I still learn from and love to see all the cute pictures of their kids! At other times blogging helped me to connect with some of the women in our church. This past season has been learning about making food gluten free for Emily (and myself) and finally cutting the cord to all processed food. Learning to eat real food, all the time has been really fun and rewarding, but there is a learning curve to be sure and bloggers helped me through it. Who knows what the next season will bring with this blog?

And now, seven other blogs that have inspired me. I'm going to choose ones that have helped me in this transition to eating gluten free. If you or someone you love might have this issue too, or if you would just like some great healthy recipes, I highly recommend their sites.


1. The Nourishing Gourmet- Not necessarily a gluten free blog, but I've gotten so many great recipes that are gluten free. Our recent favorite is the Orange Dream Smoothie. (That's what we call it.)



2. Elana's Pantry - I was fortunate to win a copy of her cookbook, The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook. It has some wonderful recipes! Our favorite is the pancake recipe. It's so good, you'll want to make it even if you can eat wheat flour. She's having another giveaway of her cookbook and a 5 lb bag of almond flour. If I happen to win again, I'll put the extra copy up for a giveaway on this blog. She has giveaways every Friday and always links to others that are giving away her cookbook. I highly recommend her site! Click here to learn more about her cookbook.


3. Gluten Free Easily - Shirley has some great recipes on her site. We made Pomegranate ice cream for Christmas. Yum!


4. Gluten Free Girl and The Chef - I read the book, then found the blog. Funny, with lots of great recipes. Not necessarily always healthy, but if you want gluten free to taste wonderful, Shauna has probably already tested the recipes for you a dozen times. The ginger molasses cupcakes are so good, you'd never know they're gluten free.

5. Gluten Free Goddess - Karina has a lot of great looking recipes that I'm itching to try, but her most helpful page to me so far has been her Gluten Free baking tips and substitutions guideline. If you don't have a particular flour and want to try a recipe anyway, she explains just how to do it. Very helpful.

6. Kitchen Stewardship - Katie is not a gluten free blogger. But she is interested in "real" healthy food. And she does her homework. If you're interested in reading up on how canola oil stacks up, check her blog out. She also gives away really fun prizes.

7. The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen - I've saved my favorite for last. I won their cookbook too! (Can you tell God has been very good to me lately?!) And not only are the recipes really good, healthy and easy, but they are explained in a way that helps you to understand why that particular food is good for you and in what ways it will help you. Plus all the recipes are dairy free (which we need) and egg and soy free (for those with multiple allergies). Ali and Tom will introduce you to new foods like Teff, a grain that is high in iron, and fiber. Spiced Teff cookie bars. Yum!

If you've been nominated and you would like to participate, the Rules are:

1. Leave a word of thanks for the person of nominated you, and link to their blog.

2. List 10 honest things about yourself.

3. Nominate 7 other blogs who have inspired you for one reason or another.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I enjoyed reading this! And thanks for linking to all of the gluten free living sites. I have been thinking about making the switch. I know it will be hard at first, but I think it may help Ben's skin condition.

Tricia said...

I enjoyed reading your post and learning more about you. That is great that Emily and you are feeling better without gluten. I knew you would get to it when you had the time.