I have a thing for small kitchen appliances. I just love them. Weirdly enough, I even ask for them as Christmas presents. A couple of years ago, I asked for and received a new crock pot. I had been using my grandmothers orange one from the 70's for awhile. So now I have a really big one that I use all the time. Here is a great recipe I got from my friend Samantha. It comes from the Fix-it-and-Forget-it cookbook on page 36.
Taco Soup
Taco Soup
(Eats more like a chilli)
makes 6-8 servings
1 lb. ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
15 1/4 oz can corn, undrained
15 1/2 oz can red kidney beans, undrained
15 oz can black beans, undrained
1 envelope dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix (other brands work well too)
1 envelope dry taco seasoning
1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
3. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, chips or cornbread. Add a salad and you've got a meal!
makes 6-8 servings
1 lb. ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
15 1/4 oz can corn, undrained
15 1/2 oz can red kidney beans, undrained
15 oz can black beans, undrained
1 envelope dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix (other brands work well too)
1 envelope dry taco seasoning
1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
3. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, chips or cornbread. Add a salad and you've got a meal!

7 comments:
I am looking forward to some more recipes!
I am thanful for our new friendship too. Who knew? California. This past year we too went through the process of losing some friendships when we left our former church. Who knew I'd meet some new friends online? I look forward to getting to know you better. When do you start school?
We started school today. I'm not sure how this year is going to look with Emily crawling around and walking soon. She had a hard time today.
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friendships. Leaving a church is always hard. How long had you been at your former church? We left ours for 5 months, but have come back. God has done some radical heart work in my life in the area of friendships and my dependence on them. This has definately shaped how I view my relationships at church now. It's been interesting to come back with a new perspective.
Christina
We had this soup last night. The kids enjoyed the crushed tomatoes instead of my usual diced tomatoes. I have to admit, I doubled the black beans, used hominy instead of corn and just used spices instead of the packets. So, I guess it might have been really different than the true recipe. But, it was a winner. The kids immediately said they wanted me to make it again. Thanks for the inspiration!
You're welcome! We usually make it different than the original too, depending on what is on hand, and it always turns out good. BTW, what did you use for spices? I'd like to not buy the packets, but was unsure what to use instead.
Christina
Well, I've always made my own taco mixes 'cause I'm so cheap...garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, pepper and oregano. Also, I usually make my own ranch...the back of the packet just says powdered buttermilk, msg, garlic, onion and a ton of preservatives. My scratch ranch has onion powder, garlic (fresh or powder), a dash of cayenne or tabasco, black pepper and lots of dried parsley. So, for the soup, I just put a bunch of all those different things.
Thanks Jessica! I'll have to try that next time I make this.
Christina
Post a Comment