Yesterday we received a call from UCLA to give us the results of Tuesdays 3 hour assessment. After 8 therapy sessions and 3 long assessment sessions, they determined that Evan's tics had not significantly improved as a result of the program. It is what we thought also. His tics have changed and are slightly less impairing for him, but he still has no control over them. Actually, the group that we were assigned to didn't address controlling ticks so I'm not surprised.
UCLA has offered us the other treatment option now that the study portion is done. This was the group we were hoping to be assigned to. It will address how to be aware of the tics and how to control them using competing behaviors. The example I always use is a tic of waving your arms up and down. A competing behavior would be to tighten your arms into your body so they physically can't wave. Your body is still doing something, but it is not as noticeable or tiring.
We are hoping to take a bit of a break from the driving, and start up after the new year. It will be another 8 weeks of therapy, but will not include assessments or video taping or filling out a bunch of forms. Yeah!!! Even though it has been a lot of work, we are very thankful for the opportunity for Evan to receive help relatively free of charge. (We just have to pay for the gas there and back!)
We think that it has been very helpful for Evan to be a part of this study. And he has said throughout that he really enjoys going. We were assigned to the education group. Most of what they taught us there Evan didn't know before. He has been much more open to talking about his Tourette's Syndrome (TS) now than in the past. We have also found out that some of what we thought were ticks are actually not. And some behaviors we didn't know were associated with TS are actually quite common, like sleep problems. This is important in how we deal with certain behaviors. Ticks are involuntary and many times he doesn't even know he's doing them. But, sometimes the line between sinful behavior and behavior caused by TS is not so easy to distinguish.
I have been reading a book called Blame It On The Brain? by Edward T. Welch. He is also the author of When People are Big and God Is Small, a book I just finished reading. He seems to have a very thorough understanding of psychiatry and brain research but looks at it through the lens of scripture. It has been very helpful in understanding what role the brain plays in relation to injuries, disorders and disease. He also helps address where sin plays a role in these areas and gives suggestions on how to treat the physical brain issues, and the sinful heart issues. One of his suggestions is to first of all find out as much as you can about the disease or disorder you are dealing with. Going to UCLA and spending time with people who specialize in childhood anxiety and tic disorders has given us a much deeper understanding of Tourette's Syndrome.
God is dealing with some of my heart issues as I drive down to L.A. as well. Driving in heavy traffic in an unfamiliar city with a baby who is fussy, and a 7 year old who gets car sick has brought to light anger and frustration I didn't know was there. And feeling physically weak isn't something I'm used to (not counting bed rest). The drive there and back, especially this last time, has made me be dependent on God for each moment. The day before I was to leave I wasn't sure how I was ever going make it. Sean was not able to take the day off of work, and Evan had to be there on that day to be within the parameters of the study. If I didn't take him, we would forfeit the rest of the study and the opportunity to receive the next treatment. As I was driving down, I had time to think about where my faith was. Was it in my ability to control the situation or in God? God helped me to see that He was taking care of us, and I had to talk to myself to remind myself of God's sovereignty in this situation. This has been a difficult season, but I am confident that God will use this situation to work for the good of Evan and myself. (Rom 8:28) I just have to keep reminding myself that, since I all to easily forget! Thank you so much for praying for us. We sincerely appreciate it.
Friday, August 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow! Christina, I am so excited to hear how God is working in your heart. Praise be to Him! That is great about the new study -- and the break from traveling to LA.
I'm glad you have discovered Ed Welch. All those guys from CCEF (Christian Counseling and Education Foundation) like Welch, David Powlison, Paul David Tripp are just awesome. We have benefited so much from just the few resources we've read, watched or listened to. They put out a journal that you might be interested in, too. www.ccef.org
Thank you for the info about CCEF's journal. I've read about it before but didn't know where to find it. Thank's also for your encouragement!
Christina
Thank you for that testimony about trusting in God's sovereignty. It sounds like you have been busy but I am glad you see how God's hand is working in it all! Praying for you.
What an amazing testimony! Thank you for sharing what you are going through and how God is using it to bring you closer to Him and make you more like Christ. I am glad that you are active in the fight against feeling sorry for yourself and giving up. You are a wonderful mother, sacrificing daily for what is best for your children. Though I know your hope is in the Lord, I hope and pray that this new study will yield the information and assistance you are hoping for.
Always on the look-out for some good reading, it sounds like I will have to check-out Ed Welch.
Post a Comment