For over a year now, Evan has been looking forward to a special trip that he is taking with his dad and Papa (my dad). They are going to Washington D.C.!
We decided that taking the whole family when Emily was so small and Amy's attention span was not really up for museums and all day excursions, was not really the best idea. I have also been to D.C. once before as part of a Senior class trip in High School. So we figured it would be cheaper to have Sean and Evan go by themselves. Amy, my mom and I are planning to go on our own trip in a few years. Of course when we told my dad about the trip he was just as excited about going as Sean and Evan.
They will be able to really focus on the things that interest them: Air & Space/Historical Sites/Williamsburg/Revolutionary War/Civil War/FBI. Of course since it's a school trip they'll tour the White House, Capitol, the Mint, and monuments. They are even going to be in Jamestown on a special day celebrating Jamestown's 400 year anniversary. I'm sure they will have a fabulous time of bonding, sightseeing, learning, and fun.
Evan is making up the itinerary with help from his dad. I was wondering if those of you who who live near D.C. or have been before could give Evan any advice or helpful hints? Places to eat, insider tips on visiting popular landmarks, something or someplace that is a favorite for your family, or out of the way gems? Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Christina,
When are they leaving on their trip? If it's not too soon, I'd be happy to contact Kevin & Rebekah Prestwich. They live in Arlington about a 5 minute drive from the city and have several friends who work on Capitol Hill and/or the White House. They also attend Capitol Hill Baptist (a reformed baptist church) where Kevin is a deacon. I'd highly recommend that your little entourage attend that church for worship if they'll be there on a Sunday. The service is AMAZING--very reverent, lots of participation, great singing, excellent preaching...
This is right in our neck of the woods! We have done most of what you listed and in addition Monticello (Thomas Jefferson) & Mount Vernon (George Washington). Arlington National Cemetery and Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier is really powerful and a must-see. The cemetery part may be a bit boring for your son, but it is a powerful statement.
I would say that if your guys are going to be renting a car to get from D.C. to Williamsburg/Jamestown, then Mount Vernon is a definite must! We just went for the first time a month ago and absolutely loved it! They have a new museum with awesome life-size George Washington's throughout the years, interactive films (snow falls on you while you watch the troops cross the Potomac and your chair shakes as the guns and canons are fired). We took the whole family and my girls absolutely loved it and they are close to the age of your son. Sam was a bit young and got really hung up with the fact that "George was dead". He couldn't figure out why would we be visiting some dead guy's house! I really loved the whole experience. They will need the better part of the day, so they could leave D.C. in the morning, stop at Mount Vernon (it's on the way) and then head down to Williamsburg and probably be there around dinnertime. Williamsburg is wonderful, but Jamestown is probably my favorite. It is a bit more hands-on in my opinion. Visit the Mount Vernon website for more info because it was helpful in planning our trip. I would forgo Monticello just because it's out of the way and it isn't near as interactive as the other places. The American History Musueum (D.C.) was closed in the fall, so hopefully it's open now. I think you have to schedule White House visits in advance and maybe FBI as well.
To the poster above---We ALWAYS go to Capitol Hills Baptist when we visit and everytime Emma has a meet in Northern VA, Chris is pumped up about taking a cab in to the city to hear Dever preach. FANTASTIC experience. Very traditional, such gifted expository preaching. Our pastor attended a conference there, just a couple of weeks ago. It is worth the visit for sure.
Feel free to e-mail me with questions! Sounds like fun :)
A great place to visit that is kind of "new" (a few years now) is the Spy Museum. It's not far from the mall. It's expensive but so fun and educational. I've been twice.
I love Monticello and Mount Vernon, and yes, they have a new museum. Some of my co-workers and friends worked on it, so I'm sure it's wonderful! :)
Thanks everyone! Evan has been happily searching the internet for information on all the things you recommended!
Cara, they don't go until May so I'll call you or e-mail about contacting Kevin if they want to do that. Thanks for the offer.
Post a Comment