Yesterday I learned the meaning of the word "Pugnacious". Someone who is combative or argumentative. It's right there in Titus 1:7 (NASB).
We are continuing to be blessed through our new church. Yesterday, being the first of the month, Evan sat with us for the sermon. This is something new for us. At the church we came from the kids went straight to their classes before service even started. They didn't always do it that way, but as the church grew and space became a premium, they changed from kids leaving after singing, to kids going straight to class. Anyway, that happened long before Evan was old enough to notice the difference, so all he's known is Sunday School.
The church we came from has a big service at the park (combining three services into one) at the beginning of each summer. This was actually the one time the kids sat with us for a very short sermon because afterward was BBQ lunch and a concert. As we drove by the park on our way home from our new church yesterday, we saw tons of cars and remembered that this was the Sunday that they had in the park.
Two years ago at the park, Evan squirmed and complained through the very short sermon (pep talk). Yesterday, at our new church, he sat through a much longer and meatier sermon without complaint. As the pastor was talking about addictions (also in Titus 1:7) Evan leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Mom, he forgot one on his list: video games!"
I have been talking with Evan over the past few months about guidelines for video games and watching out that it does not become addicting or an idol in his heart. I was so glad that the Holy Spirit used the sermon he was hearing to reinforce what he is learning at home! I was so blessed to see him cuddling up to his dad and not wiggling too much! When the pastor quoted James 1:20, "For the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God." Evan was nodding his head. The funny thing is I don't know if he was nodding in agreement (It seems like I'm reminding Evan of this verse at least once a week!) or because of his Tourette's Syndrome. His latest tick is nodding his head!
It was quite a contrast from two years ago in the park. Now that there has been some time away, I can look back and see how much God has done for us. Leaving our old church was really hard. At times it was painful too and we had to check our hearts for any bitter root, forgiving those who hurt us unintentionally. Driving past the park, I was so grateful that God pulled us away and brought us to a place where we are growing more. At the "big church" even though we were really involved, it was getting easier for church to be, well, easy. Drop kids off in high entertainment room with good staff to kid ratio, listen to sermon via video feed, that met a "felt need" while I sip my mocha and eat my donut, pick up kids, go home.
Yesterday even though the sermon was relatively long (and on one verse too!), God used the pastor's words and HIS Word to convict and bring hope at the same time. It was harder to listen to than a "Fluffy" sermon, but it was so much more powerful too. And I don't mean "hard" in a bad way. The pastor is a very good communicator, but just as it is easier to sit at the edge of the bluff and look at the ocean and it is "harder" to walk down the trail and get a good look at the tide pools, it is easier to skim the surface of scripture, than to go deep down. But...I want to go deep. Hard in this case is good. Instead of meeting a "felt need", God's word, faithfully preached, meets my true need. And as a side benefit, I'm expanding my vocabulary. I never knew what "pugnacious" meant before. Did you?
Monday, June 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I'm so glad you've already found a church and you're growing. I really appreciated your comments about Evan sitting through church.
I am thankful you have found a new church that is committed to teaching the Word. And what a blessing to have Evan in worship with you!
That's great. I'm so glad you found a church that's "meaty" and God's using it in all your lives--including your children!
I enjoyed catching up on your blog this morning while having my coffee. Wow, you have been writing a lot! I enjoyed Amy's snail habitat. My girls love doing the same thing- perhaps they can share their love of snails when you visit:). Your flower arangements are lovely! You have inspiried me! I only have one rose bush right now but my neighbor who is an aging woman unable to get out of her home, has three in her yard that are our of her sight. I think when you come tomorrow we should trim for her and you can help me make a vase full! What do you think?
alicia
Sounds great Alicia! Now that school is "officially" out I have a lot more time to blog!
no, i didn't know what it meant. i look forward to more sermons at our new church too!
I appreciate your view of video game addiction as a heart issue. I've mistakenly made it all about behavior but I'll be changing my focus after reading your post. Thanks! My oldest was studying latin a few years ago and had just finished the root "pugno- to fight" so while listening to a Henty tape he pointed out "pugnacious" and then had to define it for me because I didn't know what it meant.
I am so glad you found a good church too. Sounds like it was hard but you all are growing a lot. And no I did not know what that word meant.
Post a Comment