Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Healthy Eating in 2008

Are you the type to make New Years Resolutions? I think about different things that I need to change, but I don't necessarily make a "resolution". But, these two articles have got me thinking. You can read them here, and here. The first is by David Powlison, the second by the GirlTalkers.

One of the areas that Sean and I both would like to make changes in this coming year is our health. Specifically weight. Powlison and Nicole Whitacre both talk whether or not your resolutions glorify yourself or God. If I am wanting to lose weight only so that I can look good and feed my ego and become more vain than that is a goal that would not be honoring to God. So is wanting to lose weight a God honoring goal? That is what I've been thinking about today. Here are a few of my thoughts.

For me the real issues are gluttony, and a misplaced hope. People don't use the word gluttony much anymore. But really if you consistently eat more than you need, that is what it is called and the Bible calls it a sin. A quick search on Wikipedia showed this definition.

"Derived from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow, gluttony is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste. In some Christian denominations, it is considered one of the seven deadly sins—a misplaced desire of food or its withholding from the needy.
Early Church leaders (e.g., Thomas Aquinas) took a more expansive view of gluttony (Okholm 2000), arguing that it could also include an obsessive anticipation of meals, and the constant eating of delicacies and excessively costly foods.[2] He went so far as to prepare a list of five ways to commit gluttony, including:
Praepropere - eating too soon
Laute - eating too expensively
Nimis - eating too much
Ardenter - eating too eagerly
Studiose - eating too daintily"

Eating too soon, too much and too expensively are things I am guilty of much of the time. God has already been convicting me of how much I spend on food but I had not really thought of it connected with the word gluttony. This is an area that He is working on in my heart.

When I look to food to console me after a long day, or on a lonely night when Sean is gone, then I am looking to food to bring me comfort. That's why they call it comfort food! The misplaced hope is that the food will somehow make it all better, when in reality, if my body doesn't need food ( and it usually doesn't after eating a full meal!) I am feeding a vicious cycle. I am starting to realize that many times when I find myself in the kitchen "looking" for something to eat, I am really looking for something to sooth or fill a different need than hunger. Or I am tired, discouraged etc. and think (or feel) that I deserve some kind of reward. Rather than being content the circumstances that God has for me and letting Him decide what and when will be my reward, I take matters into my own hands and decide that chocolate is what I deserve! Only now I have 20 extra pounds to show for it!

So after that long winded ramble, here is my simple resolution for the next couple of weeks: to drink water before I eat extra food (mostly snack times) and ask myself, "What am I looking for?" when I feel like I need just a little something as a "treat" for myself.

I don't drink enough water. I've fainted from dehydration before and I do know better. So I think that this is a healthy step in the right direction. I know that food issues can be complicated. If you have any thoughts about it all I'd love to hear what you have to say.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh Christina,
This was the perfect post for me to read today....as I am waiting for my dinner to finish and after an afternoon of walking by a bag of mini marshmallows and eating who knows how many hands full. I am so guilty of many of the same things you list. Aaron has a schedule where he is gone a lot especially at night and with three kids and homeschooling there are days I cannot wait to get them into bed and have a bowl of ice cream or some other treat. I know (I was an exercise physiology major) that dessert should be max once a week and yet I indulge quite often. I also spend too much on food and don't always plan well and end up throwing stuff out at times which I am so ashamed of. I have always struggled with food...in high school and college it was in the extreme opposite direction. But I know I have not been eating healthy especially in between meals lately. And I know that I go to food for comfort and reward. In the past I did Elyse Fitzpatricks More than Bread study which was for those with eating disorders both not eating and eating too much. It was great. I have also read her book Love to Eat Hate to Eat which is similar material and probably something I need to pull out again. As far as practical I have been pouring over the book The Real Age Cookbook. Basically recipes that are healthy not just to lose weight...but of course if you eat that way you will. I will be praying for you. And know you are not alone. I so struggle with this. Thanks for posting this.

Hugs

Samantha said...

Unfortunately, eating snacks as comfort has become a habit for you. And it takes (at the least)21 days to break a habit. So I have a tip for you to make it easier for yourself: make sure you don't have any snacks in the house at all. Sure, you could probably still grab a piece of cheese or something for a snack, but it's still much healthier than chocolat.

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty of feeling like I need to "treat" myself. I also do not drink enough water. So, I'm with you this year on the eating in a way that glorifies God.

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing your heart on this Christina. I have struggled with the same thing. I have also used exercise to justify over-eating. Certainly yummy food is a blessing and can be viewed as such, but I find myself putting it on a pedestal and looking forward to those moments of solitude & ice cream with way too much enthusiasm :)

I also want to glorify God with the way I treat my body...His temple.

Blessings!

Alicia said...

I have spent so much time going around and around this topic with the Lord. The cycle is getting my heart right on my modivations for health. You were so right (or I should say, God is for showing you)I am thankful He keeps brining this around but I seem to be taking a long time to fine tune self control on this one.
Let's just vist one point of it, evening treats. I too feel when things get quiet that I want something. My husband does too but he walks so many miles a day, he actually needs the extra calories. So, one simple step I am taking for this year is to "put off, and put on". I will put off evening eating (meaning after the dinner meal) and put on a nice cup of tea. It is soothing and comforting, and healthy. Then, go to bed soon after. Nobody eats in thier sleep!
I am in the process of trying to learn what foods are good for me to consume. There is a new book called "Super Foods Rx" it helps go one step further and eat what will aid and not hinder your body.

Christina said...

Bethany, I too had the opposite problem with food when I was younger. I recently read something that talked about how sin has two sides like a coin. I'll try to look that up and post it later because I rememeber thinking at the time that it pertained especially well to food issues.

Samantha, welcome! I noticed that someone from the Netherlands was reading my blog. I'm so glad to meet you.

Thank you for your comment. You are right, having unhealthy food around does help to not eat it, however, the real problem for me is a heart issue. (And with 4 other people in the house it's much harder to control what comes into the house!) I think I'll try to post more on this issue later.

Kim, yes, you are totally right about food being a blessing. And I think that on special days of celebration it's good to have special food to celebrate. I meant the everyday. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Like you I really want to keep my eye on the giver of the gift not the gift itself!