I thought I should explain why I hate water, especially now that I've been given a virtual pool party! (Thanks Jessica!)
Actually, my kids love the water, and we live in California, so we go to pool parties all the time. Yes, I suffer through, since I love my kids. But there is a logic behind my hate. It stems from fear.
When I was little, my parents dutifully took me to swim lessons at the local YMCA. I had a lot of muscle for a little kid and could do the strokes fine. So I got jumped ahead. But mentally, I was not ready for bobbing across the pool where it was a couple of feet over my head. I felt like it was "bob or die!" Anyway, it created a severe fear in me.
Then when I was in high school, I had a couple of near drowning experiences. In one, I was rescuing my little sister who was going under. I, knowing nothing of life guarding technique, just reached out for her and she grabbed my head! If it weren't for the dad near by who saw us both (not her originally) I might have swallowed more water than I did.
The second incident was when I went white water rafting with my high school youth group. I know, I hate water, why was I going white water rafting?! Because I hate missing out more than I hate water.
Anyway, the rapids were dead that day. There was one small rapid that went down and around a corner through some rocks. Since it was the only action of the day we all decided to drag the boat up on the shore and do it again. But... When we pulled the boat back out into the water, I didn't get back in the boat in time. And I went down the rapid with no boat!
So there you have it. Water is not my first love. But since I don't want to miss out, and I certainly don't want my kids to miss out, I'll still come to your pool party! And I'm not a vegetarian anymore, so hot dogs are OK. (But veggie burgers really are better!)
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Very cute post. Not the things that caused the fear, but you tell it in a cute way. I hope you know I would never really subject you to that.
Well, actually, if I ever lived someplace nice and could afford a pool, I just might...
I can see why you feel the way you do. I was curious. Having someone drag you down with them would be on my top ten fear list. Sharks are at the top, and yet, I still love water...hmmmm. I don't like swimming in the ocean though, or lakes either. When I was little I rememeber the tiny fish nibbling my legs at a lake and it freaked me out! I like seeing in one glance exacty what inhabits the water I go in. :)
One or two near-drowning experiences can do that do a person! I loved the ocean until I nearly drowned with my 2 kids at REhoboth Beach, Delaware in 2000. I can't stand to watch kids do the dunking thing while parents sit by. I've been known to scold other people's kids if I'm in the water and see it happening. Are you still a strong swimmer?
One or two near-drowning experiences can do that do a person! I loved the ocean until I nearly drowned with my 2 kids at REhoboth Beach, Delaware in 2000. I can't stand to watch kids do the dunking thing while parents sit by. I've been known to scold other people's kids if I'm in the water and see it happening. Are you still a strong swimmer?
One or two near-drowning experiences can do that do a person! I loved the ocean until I nearly drowned with my 2 kids at REhoboth Beach, Delaware in 2000. I can't stand to watch kids do the dunking thing while parents sit by. I've been known to scold other people's kids if I'm in the water and see it happening. Are you still a strong swimmer?
My first stop by...I have to agree, veggie burgers are the best. Though I am a Californian too, hmmm could that be why?
Blessings, Joanne
Christina,
I am so sorry that I almost drowned you. I am not sorry that you saw that I was drowning. Where would I be without you? I vividly remember that experience too, but somehow did not become afraid of water. How old were we anyway?
Jo, I'm glad I was there! And don't worry, I think I was doomed to dislike water from the swimming lessons. The drownings just confirmed it! I was in the 8th grade so you would have been 3rd.
Post a Comment