Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cheerful Service

"Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!" Psalm 100:2


This has been the first year of homeschooling where I have struggled with wanting to give up. It hasn't been a "fun" year like the first, or a "relaxing" year like the second, or a "rewarding" year like the third. We've had fun, relaxing and rewarding days this year, but there have been many days that I just have not looked forward to teaching. So this verse really hit home with me. I know that God has called me to homeschool my kids. This year I have not done it with much gladness. Charles Spurgeon writes,

"Delight in divine service is a token of acceptance. Those who serve God with a sad countenance, because they do what is unpleasant to them, are not serving Him at all; they bring the form of homage, but the life is absent." (Morning and Evening, evening of Jan 9th)

Ouch! That has been me on too many mornings. Serving my family's breakfast or math lesson up with a sad countenance. Yesterday Amy drew a picture of us at Trader Joe's. In the picture I was handing Emily a balloon, but I had "angry eyes". At first, I was offended, but afterward when I thought about it, she was probably right. I was probably scolding about something. Our kids see right through us.

So my prayer for today, and the rest of this year is for God to help me to be cheerful, to serve Him with gladness. Again Spurgeon writes,

"Cheerfulness is the support of our strength; in the joy of the Lord are we strong. It acts as the remover of difficulties...The man who is cheerful in his service of God, proves that obedience is his element....Let our gladness proclaim that we serve a good Master."


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words! I wasn't sure where to find you now, as your blog has moved around a bit, so I was glad you commented so I could stop by for a visit.

Jenn said...

Thanks for sharing that. Convicting! I too need to serve my family with a joyful countenance.

Anonymous said...

I cannot express right now how terribly needed this post is for me today. I wish I had logged on early this morning to read it instead of now, at the end of the day. I have served with a sad countenance today. I was reduced to tears earlier because I feel like giving up...today. I won't give up, because, like you I feel a calling to homeschooling our children. Thank you, my friend. You are right...serving without gladness does not honor God. Such conviction comes to me with those words. {{hugs}} Thank you!

Jenn said...

Hi Christina! I wanted you to know that I tagged you for a neat book meme if you have a chance to do it. I didn't link to you because I wasn't sure if that was ok with you or not. Let me know if it's ok and I'll link it to you.

Bethany said...

I left a comment here the other day but blogger was acting up and must have erased it. But thanks for this post. It is such a great reminder. Things have been hard for me not feeling well so schooling and house cleaning and everything seems like a big deal. IT is so much easier when I approach it with the right attitude although that is so difficult in my mind sometimes. So thanks for the encouragement.