Friday, January 26, 2007

An Unusual Week

This week was full of surprises! Some were wonderful, some painful, but overall a very different week for us. I meant to blog about the little series over at Girltalk, and even took pictures, but that didn't happen. So here's our week in a nutshell.

Monday: I took pictures of our dinner table to show what I sometimes do to make a meal of leftovers special. My kids love using stem glasses. So it seems fancy to them if I use them. Thanks Leslie for your reminder about candles. My kids love those too. I'll have to pull those out sometime soon. Sean is easily pleased when it comes to meals. The leftovers were lasagna!

Evan tested for his next belt level in Karate. He passed and is now an "orange" belt! Way to go, Evan!

That same night my niece Abigail was born.


Tuesday: Drop everything to travel 6 hours round trip to visit Abigail, CJ, my sister Shauna and her husband, Aaron. I'm having trouble reading the pictures that my dad took so I'll have to post those later. My hands were too full holding Abby, and directing Emily to take any pictures. It was so fun to get to see her just 1 day old. It was well worth the drive.

But....I got my first speeding ticket on the way there. Yikes! I had 5 hours to contemplate my driving, God's discipline, and His previous grace to me in this area. (I've been pulled over several times, but never gotten a ticket before.) The ticket was, unfortunately, well deserved and the officer showed no mercy. How glad I am that God does show mercy. Even this ticket which will be a big one, ultimately shows God's grace to me. I drive like a race car driver and I'm not sure that anything short of the "spank" I got would have gotten my attention. Let's just say that until I can get the lead out of my right foot, I am setting the cruise control on my car EVERY time I get on the freeway.

Wednesday: I had my first meeting with the woman who runs our new homeschool group. I was really nervous for some reason and had a stomach ache all morning! The meeting went really well. The lady was very helpful, kind and sweet. The mom that had her meeting right before me is a friend of mine and it was so encouraging to see her. Then the woman after me told me all about some stuff that her 10 year old boy is participating in. I left feeling encouraged, strengthened, and hopeful that this group is going to be a good fit for our family.

Thursday: We actually stayed home! This is the usual for us, but this week it was out of the ordinary, and very welcome. Here's a cute picture of Amy reading to Emily. Those two are becoming inseparable!

Friday: All week long Amy has been looking forward to a very special Tea Party she was invited to by our neighbor and friend Tawni. They dressed up in their finest and had tea and cakes. Evan dressed up too and escorted Amy next door. Amy came home feeling like a princess!

We have company coming into town tonight. Evan's best friend Ryan moved last weekend. He and his dad are coming back for their cub scout's "Pinewood Derby" and one last goodbye. We're going to miss their family.

This week has highlighted quite a few changes that are instore for our family: new cousins, new homeschool group, new responsibilities for Evan, and an opportunity for new friends. I've been extremely emotional this week, feeling up then down, but with the odd realization that it's just emotions. Changes are hard to make. But God is good and I can trust Him that what He has for us in the future will be for our good and His glory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a busy week! Congratulations on the new family member.

Anonymous said...

That IS a busy week! We just joined a new homeschool group too, so I could relate to what you were feeling.

Bethany said...

What a busy week. Love all the pics.

Kim said...

What a full week and a blessed life! Sometimes the fullness is
overwhelming :)

That baby pic in the previous post makes my heart ache to hold a newborn! I will forever marvel at their small perfection.

Blessings!